A Single Student’s Guide to Surviving Valentine’s Day

Niki Dashtban, Reporter

It is that time of the year again—no, not Christmas, but Valentine’s Day. Remember elementary school, when we were all forced to hand out heart-shaped cards to everyone? Well, turns out we are no longer required or guaranteed a card on Valentine’s Day. The once anticipated childhood holiday is now the most dreaded day of the year. Okay, maybe not the most dreaded day, but it can be pretty terrible if you’re single. Valentine’s Day is a day about love, but for those of us who are part of the #LonelyHeartsClub it only reminds us of the lack of love in our lives. But there’s no need to worry, this article will guide you through the emotional distress of being single on Valentine’s Day.

Focus on YOU time:

Since you are alone on this day, take some time off to relax and enjoy being stress-free. This day is all about you, so take a long bath, go out for a run, listen to some music, and take a nap.

Eat Away:

Don’t hold yourself back. Go out and get yourself some chocolate ice cream and chips, and eat away your feelings. And if you’re too lazy to go out, you can always order food on UberEats, and it will come right by your front door.

Go out:

Whether you’re going to a restaurant alone or hanging out with your friends, spend some time outside of your home and dress up for yourself. “Go out and do something fun like going to a concert,” one student suggests.

Have a movie marathon:

Cuddle up on your sofa and turn on your TV to watch a few movies. Maybe watch all Marvel movies in preparation for Avengers: Endgame, or watch High School Musical instead. Get yourself comfortable and eat all the snacks you want.

Do your homework:

Yeah…no way that is happening.

Go shopping:

Admit it, we all love going shopping especially if we are shopping for ourselves. Go to the nearest mall to you, and shop at your favorite store. Maybe eat something at the food court. If you do not want to spend some money, you can always go window shopping, which is just as fun.

Realize that you are not alone:

So what if you’re single on Valentine’s Day? There are plenty of single people on February 14, and it does not make them any less wonderful.  Single students in Urbana High School provided advice to other single students: “Don’t go to school because you’re going to feel really bad about yourself—just kidding, it doesn’t matter if you’re single or not,” one student said. Other single students joked about being single but didn’t mind.

So folks, it really does not matter if you are single on Valentine’s Day. There is so much you can do on this day, really any other day, when being single. Grab your phone and call your friends because you have a lot of other things to do.