Mrs. Hackett Interim AP

Jazmin Colon, Fine Arts and Student Life Editor

Rebecca Hackett is the new Assistant Principal for the fall semester of Urbana High School’s 2017-2018 school year. Hackett has been working at Urbana High for nearly 15 years and is a product of the very first class ever to attend UHS.
Hackett believes that her career path towards education was really through her lifestyle and personality. “I was the oldest of three siblings, so as young as being in middle school I can remember helping my brothers and sisters with homework. I can remember working in small groups in classrooms and answering questions for people during group work, so I think I just naturally gravitated towards enjoying helping people understand something that wasn’t easy to understand.” said Hackett. As an educator she has taught Algebra, Geometry, IB math, and begun Contemporary math. When asked about her favorite part of being a teacher Hackett stated, “the relationships and getting to know students is the best part about teaching. I love math, but it really honestly is all about the students.” Her favorite thing to see from the kids she teaches is the teamwork effort in class. She feels that it is amazing to see students pick each other up and the sense of pride in not just another random classroom at UHS but in “our classroom.” To read the rest of this story, pick up a copy of The Hawkeye from the newsstand near the front office or the media center.