The Student News Site of Urbana High School

THE HAWKEYE

THE HAWKEYE

THE HAWKEYE

Title
View this profile on Instagram

UHS Hawkeye (@uhs_hawkeye) • Instagram photos and videos

8 Books You Need to Read According to UHS Teachers

Alyssa Tyler

Readers sometimes have a hard time finding new books to read once they have finished their last book. It’s hard to find a book on their own, and it may be even harder to ask people they know for book recommendations. Well, this should help with that. Here are 8 books you need to read according to UHS teachers.

A People’s History of the United States by Howard Zinn

Recommended by: Michael Netzer

This book tells the story of American History from the point of view of ordinary people, like farmers, African Americans, and women. It explains what people went through that led to today’s social norms and politics. It relates events involving factory workers, farmers, poor people, immigrants, and what they struggled with over the last 350 years. 

Why do they recommend this book?

“The American History taught in our classes and textbooks is important and a really good start. This book helps explain lots of things people may have questions about. Like, “How and why did our society become the way it is today?” It’s very interesting and insightful.” Mr. Netzer said.

What do you love about the book?

Netzer added, “Howard Zinn was a brilliant historian and a great storyteller. That’s what history is all about, telling stories about our past, and hopefully being as accurate and interesting as possible. This book fills in a lot of gaps you don’t usually learn about in more traditional history books.”

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Recommended by: Stephan Ward

This is a classic coming of age novel that teaches valuable lessons: it centers on a young girl having to confront the racism and prejudice in her town. When one of the town’s black residents is falsely accused of a crime against a white woman; Scout’s father, Atticus Finch, agrees to defend the young man despite the reservations of some of the town’s citizens.

Why do they recommend this book?

“To be honest I would recommend to read any book on the banned list – Books that are trying to be banned have to be banned for a reason, and I believe that individuals should read and make opinions for themselves, read it, find out why it’s banned and consider the validity – and why individuals might be trying to suppress the book. To Kill a Mockingbird is one of those books often challenged.” Mr. Ward said.

What do you love about the book?
It is a timely novel. Its lessons are no less applicable today than they were when the book was first published. Unfortunately, they are still as necessary today as they were then. It is also Mr. Ward’s favorite novel.

Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown

Recommended by Joseph Blaser

It is about the 1936 Olympic Rowing team from the University of Washington. But it is really about so much more than that. It is about how to overcome struggles, how to believe in yourself, how to work with others, how to trust yourself and others, and how to work hard to achieve.

Why do they recommend this book?

Teaches you a lot about life as well as being a really interesting story

What do you love about the book?

“It is the only book I have read twice and I will definitely re-read it a third time at some point. Also the book is WAY better than the movie.” Mr. Blaser said.

Me (Moth) by Amber McBride

Recommended by Sarah Yinger

It’s a book that’s told in poetry verse. It deals with love, tragedy, and forgiveness – it’s all about dealing with grief yet not losing yourself in it.

Why do they recommend this book?

“I think a lot of folks are dealing with grief….not just the loss of a loved one…but loss of family through divorce, pandemic, stress of school….we’re all dealing with grief on some level. It’s important not to feel alone in it.” Mrs. Yinger said.

What do you love about the book?

“It’s a beautifully written book, the poems are very relatable. By the end of it, you just want to hug a moth. That will make more sense when you read it.” Mrs. Yinger said

The House of Dies Drear by Virgina Hamilton

Recommended by Victor Frush

It revolves around Thomas Small and his adventure with his new home. He and his family move into an old underground railroad house. But unbeknownst to them, the house is haunted, among other spirits, by its old owner, Dies Drear.

Why do they recommend this book?
“When I was a kid,  we lived in an old farm house that may have been part of the Underground Railroad and I was fascinated by this. Imagining people traveling by foot in the middle of night and having to sleep and hide in a secret room to avoid detection is an extraordinary part of history.” Mr. Frush said.

What do you love about the book?

Frush stated, “The character development and the plot was so suspenseful. I could never put the book down! The author’s words painted such a vivid picture in my mind.”

The Pleasures and Sorrows of Work by Alain de Botton

Recommended by Travis Zimmerman

It is a book where the hidden elements of our world are explored in-depth and in a humorous way. In the book, Botton explores what makes our work life both fulfilling and frustrating. Each different vignette in the book is a slice of actual human life– everyone feels real because they are real. Alain actually followed these people around and wrote about their lives.

Why do they recommend this book?

“I think one of the things I didn’t truly understand until I was older was the real logistical complexity of our society. In order to make sure that electricity makes it to our homes and schools; or fresh strawberries make it to the grocery store while still tart and delicious; or to make sure that your flight is on time to take you on vacation is all just a symphony of hidden logistics.” Mr. Zimmerman said.

What do you love about the book?

“Non-fiction can be hit or miss, but Botton has a way of making you really care about these people you never will meet in your whole life, but are somehow responsible for the smoothness and ease of our lives.” Zimmerman mentioned.

I’ll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson

Recommended by Kristin Johnson

It’s about two twins who used to be inseparable, but somewhere along the way their bond was broken. Through the perspective of one twin at age 13 and the other at age 16, you gradually find out what secrets they are keeping from each other and what unraveled between them. 

Why do they recommend this book?

“The writing is SO beautiful. The author describes the world in such surprising and poetic ways that make no sense, but also make total sense. Like one time she describes someone as “the kind of man who walks into a room and all the walls fall down.” It’s just so much fun to read and also punches you in the gut at the most unexpected times,” said Mrs. Johnson.

What do you love about the book?

“It’s probably the best young adult novel I’ve read, which is saying something because I’ve read A LOT of them. Some of the quotes have stuck with me so much that they still pop into my head randomly and make me smile, laugh, or tear up. Basically I can’t recommend it enough,” Johnson added.

Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin

Recommended by Matthew Ferrante

It is about Abraham Lincoln and his political skill during the Civil War. 

Why do they recommend this book? 

“It’s a great book because it talks a lot about the character of Lincoln and his ability to rely on people that once were his political rivals to help him navigate the US through one of the most difficult times in its history.” Mr. Ferrante said.

What do you love about the book?

It gives a deeper look into Lincoln during the war and also gives a deeper understanding about one of the most difficult times in US history.

Everyone has different book preferences, but according to these teachers, these should be on everyone’s must read list. If any of these books sparks your interest and you want to learn more, reach out to any of these teachers to learn more about their favorite books.