UHS students answer: What song described your 2021?

Isabella Carrero-Baptista, Reporter

I asked Urbana Students “What song that would describe your 2021”, and here are some of my favorite responses:

Starting off brutally honest, we have “Sweet But Psycho” by Ava Max from Lucia Mercado Santos (12). “It had its moments, but it’s mostly crazy,” she said. Well said. One particular line might have an uplifting message however: “She’ll make you curse, but she a blessin’”. Even if 2021 wasn’t your year, I encourage you to find your own blessing this year!

Speaking of blessings, “He Still Does (Miracles)” by Hawk Nelson was Senior Ariana Yi’s choice. Arianna got inspirational in her reasoning: “I chose this song greatly because of all the obstacles and hardships we encountered the past year, but as the year goes on we are slowly changing. We are trying and hoping; making things for the better and pulling together…” The beginning lines “When you’re at the end of your road; And you’re holding on, but feel like you’re fallin’,” definitely describe the beginning of 2021 pretty well. But I’ll leave you with the most important message of the song: “A broken heart can be reborn… And greater things are still in store”.

Sash Zvaners’ (12) response reminded me of Lucia’s and made me laugh, so I just had to include it. Her song choice was “Greek Tragedy” by The Wombats and Oliver Nelson because “the year was a hot mess and sometimes depressing but it was still a vibe. if that makes sense.” My personal favorite line is “She hits like ecstasy; Comes up and bangs the sense out of me” which I think perfectly describes how most felt about the dreaded 2020 coming to an end.

Next, we have “We Lost The Summer” by TOMORROW X TOGETHER suggested by Madeline Ireland. This song was written in 2020, so it deals with the feelings of isolation and sadness that many people felt while stuck in quarantine. As Madeline put it, “It’s about losing your ability to be with your friends… and losing your time together.” Thankfully we’re back to in person learning now, but the knowledge that there’s nothing we can do to get back that lost time is a heavy thought. This line I think perfectly captures the feeling of the days blending together during quarantine: “After the first day on my calendar, countless first days”

On a more metaphorical note, Sophomore Audrey Houghton had a stellar choice: “Waltz in E-Major, Op. 15 ‘Moon Waltz’”. Don’t be fooled by the name, it’s not Mozart (get the “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star” reference?). It’s actually by a jazz-metal band named Cojum Dip. “It’s about being trapped in the atmosphere trying to catch your breath, while still trying to make the most of it. (“I’ll see you on the moon; Where we’re having a party; And as you’re gasping for the last of air; you’ll tra-la-la-la-la).” I appreciate the added quote there, Audrey. This was definitely an interesting song to listen to, and balanced out existential dread and positivity surprisingly well. Which, at least going by most of the responses, describes 2021 very well.

Honorable Mentions:

Sammi Beneditto (12) – “Pluto Projector” by Rex Orange County 

As a 12th grader… I am growing up and moving on to a new stage in my life,”

Luis Jovel Lainez (12) – “Centimeter” by The Peggies

“It’s very calm, upbeat, and energetic,”

Thomas Wilson (10) – “Stressed Out” by Twenty One Pilots

“Because it’s been a stressful year,”

Kimberley Bucknor (11) –  “Stressed Out” by Twenty One Pilots

I wish we could ‘turn back time to the good old days’ before Covid,”

Karla Burbano (10) – “Never Give Up” by For King and Country

“With every downside, there is an upside… During the lockdown, I really got the chance to step back and view the world in a new light: I became more appreciative of the small beauties in life such as nature and being fortunate enough to be in the position I am even in the midst of this craziness.”

P.S. Karla actually wrote a whole essay on this song, link here.

As for me? I would have to go with “Stay Alive” by Jose Gonzalez. And I’ll leave the reason up to interpretation…

Happy 2022!