Inside Scoop On Drama Department Changes

Naomi Cuzmar, Music Editor, The Page Editor

On September 5th of 2017, the Urbana Drama Department students were greeted with a new stage for their heartfelt performances. Stephen Ward, Urbana Drama Director, teaches Intro to Theatre and the acting classes at Urbana High school, as well as director of all school plays.

His love for Theatre began forming throughout his high school career. Ward attended Brunswick High where his drama teacher pushed him to become involved. He quickly became in love with Theatre, and he gives thanks to his drama teacher, the best teacher he’s ever had. Ward states he has been working with kids his entire career. He enjoys seeing his students get involved in drama and watching them progress through drama classes and productions, just as he did.

According to Ward, his favorite and least favorite thing about his job is casting and auditions. He wants to give students opportunities and equal chances to become their best selves. Ward is looking forward to using the new stage to its full advantage where students will have their chance to shine. “Quality of performance will be made much more possible with the new advancements. Improvements were needed and it was the drama department’s time to be renovated,” says Ward. To read the rest of this story, pick up a copy of The Hawkeye from the newsstand near the front office or the media center.