2005’s top 5 hits

Annika Rosencrantz, Reporter

URBANA, MD—In late August 2021, a survey of 5 popular songs from 2005* was given to Urbana, MD residents to gauge how popular those songs might be today. The songs in the survey included: “Mr. Brightside”, “Since U Been Gone”, “Hollaback Girl”, “Beverly Hills”, and “Gold Digger”. 

Results of the survey showed that “Mr. Brightside” ranked first among survey respondents at 51.6 percent. “Hollaback Girl” ranked second (25.8 percent), and “Since U Been Gone” ranked third (29 percent). Fourth and fifth places were “Beverly Hills” (19.4 percent) and “Gold Digger” (22.6 percent), respectively. 

On the overall Billboard chart for the year end from 2005, “Hollaback Girl” ranked second while “Since U Been Gone” ranked fourth. “Gold Digger” followed behind and was ranked sixth. “Mr. Brightside” was in sixteenth place with “Beverly Hills” coming in at twentieth place. The data published by Billboard magazine was compiled by Nielsen SoundScan. A provider of music sales data which helps track sales of music and music video products throughout the United States and Canada.

This doesn’t necessarily prove they’re popularity because when they were released impacts where they are on the charts. Having the survey conducted after so many years shows the impact it had on people after sixteen years. “Mr. Brightside” was on the UK top 100 charts for 260 weeks (5 years). “Hollaback Girl” was on the charts for 53 weeks (1 year). “Beverly Hills” stayed on the chart for 43 weeks which is just under a year. “Gold Digger” hit the charts for 22 weeks. “Since U Been Gone” lasted for 46 weeks on the charts. 

The songs in the survey spanned different genres. Pop songs included: “Hollaback Girl”and  “Since U Been Gone”. While “Gold Digger” was Hip-Hop/Rap. Rock songs included “Mr. Brightside” and “Beverly Hills”. Beverly hills has been described as “It’s incredibly fun: a great beat, guitar riffs, catchy vocal style. Besides that, I think the lyrics are incredible in a very understated way.”.

The top song, “Mr. Brightside” was written by Brandon Flowers based on the events that happened to him. In an interview with VEVO about the song he stated “I was betrayed and I was able to turn it into a masterpiece”. “Hollaback Girl” fell into second. The artist, Gwen Stafani, said that the song was inspired by the feud between herself and Courtney Love. After being asked what the song was about she said “Y’know someone once called me a cheerleader, negatively, and I’ve never been a cheerleader. So I was, like, ‘OK, f**k you. You want me to be a cheerleader? Well, I will be one then. And I’ll rule the whole world, just you watch me.’” 

Twenty-two respondents of the survey were high-school students living in Urbana MD. Other respondents were adults, both living in Maryland and out-of-state. The survey was conducted via Google Form sent via Schoology and iMessage. The high-school students’ ages ranged from 15-18 years old and the adults were aged from 20-70 years old.

“Billboard Year-End Hot 100 Singles of 2005.” Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 12 July 2021, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Year-End_Hot_100_singles_of_2005.

Brandle, Lars. “The Killers’ ‘MR Brightside’ Chalks up U.k. Chart Milestone.” Billboard, 7 Apr. 2021, www.billboard.com/articles/news/9552481/the-killers-mr-brightside-uk-chart-milestone.

“Gwen Stefani.” Billboard, www.billboard.com/music/gwen-stefani/chart-history/HDS/song/545841.

“Kanye West.” Billboard, www.billboard.com/music/kanye-west/chart-history/TFC/song/482117.

“Kelly Clarkson.” Billboard, www.billboard.com/music/kelly-clarkson/chart-history/HSI/song/464639.

“Weezer.” Billboard, www.billboard.com/music/weezer/chart-history/hot-100/song/476237.