UHS book clubs most anticipated books for fall

Isabella Mariani, Reporter

Members of the Urbana High School book club were asked what their most anticipated book for fall is, and here’s what they said… 

Grace Nelson (10), like many others, is anticipating the release of These Violent Delights sequel, Our Violent Ends by Chloe Gong. This book has a release date of November 16 2021. Our Violent Delights is a Romeo and Juliet retelling that takes place in Shanghai 1927 . This book picks up right after Juliette sacrifices her relationship with Roma while trying to protect him from a blood feud. Throughout the book Juliette will have to make all the right moves so her cousin won’t take her spot as the Scarlet Gang’s heir all while protecting the boy she loves from the Scarlets wrath by having him believe she killed his best friend. But when a new monster emerges Juliette must secure Roma’s cooperation to put an end to it once and for all. Shanghai is teetering on a revolution: The Nationalists are moving in, rumours of a civil war, and gangster rule is facing annihilation. Roma and Juliette must put their differences aside and combat the monsters and politics, but they aren’t prepared for the biggest threat of all: protecting their hearts from each other. 

A book Kaya Trasi (10) is looking forward to this fall is the romance novel Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen. Jane Austen is a highly respected English novelist whose books explored the dependence of women on marriage in the pursuit of favorable social standing and economic security. Sense and Sensibility follows a similar path when Marianne Dashwood falls for a dashing but unsuitable man named John Willoughby and ignores her sister Elinor when she gives her a warning about how her impulsive behavior leaves her open to gossip. Meanwhile Elinor is always sensitive to social convention and is struggling to conceal her own romantic disappointment. Through their parallel experiences with love the sisters must learn that sense must mix with sensibility if they are to find personal happiness in a society where status and money govern the rules of love. 

The Hunting Party by Lucy Foley is a book that Caroline Borleis (11) is excited to read this fall . The Hunting Party is a mystery book about a group of friends with a killer amongst them. During Christmas break a group of friends from Oxford meet to welcome the New Year together, a tradition they started 10 years ago. For this vacation they decided to go to the Scottish Highlands, a perfect place to get away. They arrive at the cabin December 30th, right before a historic blizzard seals the lodge from the outside world. Two days later, on New Year’s Day, one of them is dead. The trip started innocent: admiring the scenery, drinks in front of the fire, and reminiscing on the past. But over the last decade the weight of secret resentment has grown too strong. And this New Years Eve trip causes the cord holding them together to snap. Now one of them is dead… and one of them did it. 

Another book sequel was submitted by Priyanka Subramanian (10). This book is the second in the book trilogy The Inheritance Games by Jennifer Lynn Barnes. More specifically The Hawthorne Legacy. This book begins right after the bombshell ending of the Inheritance Games, and now the heiress Avery Grambs has to pick up the pieces and find the man who has all the answers she needs, including why Tobias Hawthorne left his entire fortune to Avery, a complete stranger, rather than his daughters or grandsons. Avery took a DNA test assuring she was not a Hawthorne by blood but the clues lead to a connection deeper than she could have ever thought. As the mystery grows, Grayson and Jameson, the Hawthorne grandsons, continue to pull Avery in different directions. With threats lurking around every corner, as adversaries emerge who will stop at nothing to see Avery out of the picture- by any means necessary. 

We Hunt the Flame by Hafsah Faizal is the first in the Sands of Arawiya series that Icie Favata (10) is wanting to read this fall. We Hunt the Flame is a fantasy book that takes place in ancient Arabia. Zafira is a hunter who disguises herself as a man when she goes into the cursed forest of the Arz to feed her people. Nasir is the Prince of Death, assassinating those foolish enough to defy his father, the sultan. If Zafira were exposed as a girl, all of her achievements would be rejected; if Nasir displayed his compassion, his father would punish him in the most brutal ways. Both Zafira and Nasir are legends but neither want to be. A war is brewing and Arz sweeps closer into being engulfed into the land of shadow. When Zafira goes on a quest for a lost artifact that can stop the Arz, Nasir is sent by the sultan on a similar mission: retrieve the artifact and kill the Hunter. But an ancient evil stirs their journey as it unfolds and the prize they seek may pose a threat greater than they could ever imagine. 

These are just some of the books that the book club is hoping to read this fall, but hopefully their recommendations will help you pick a good book to enjoy this fall season. 

Sources: 

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/36492488-we-hunt-the-flame 

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/50531218-the-hawthorne-legacy 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/37642030-the-hunting-party 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/14935.Sense_and_Sensibility 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/44084762-our-violent-ends