The Student News Site of Urbana High School

THE HAWKEYE

THE HAWKEYE

THE HAWKEYE

Title
View this profile on Instagram

UHS Hawkeye (@uhs_hawkeye) • Instagram photos and videos

Hawkey Seniors Skate into Senior Night!

Brooke Lieberman
Seniors Seamus McGee, Brady Gardiner, and Max Dabruzzo pose as they share a sentimental moment with their families on the ice before game time.

Cold air and blinding lights. That’s what hits you as you walk into the Skate Frederick Ice Rink. Family and friends load up the bleachers or stand against the walls of the rink pounding on the glass. The music is blasting as the teams warm up and prepare for the big game ahead. This game in particular is a very important and memorable game, its senior night! 

Senior night is a tradition amongst many high schools. The seniors walk across the field (or the ice in this case), with family or loved ones as the announcer shares a testimony written by the seniors. This testimony shares their experiences with their sport and what steps they are considering after high school. This night is like saying goodbye to the sport they love as they head off to bigger and better things. When asked what senior night meant to him, senior Captain Seamus McGee explains that “it’s the result of the 4 years that I’ve played hockey for UHS and it’s an appreciation game for all the people who have contributed to my hockey career.” 

Urbana vs Middletown. Hawks vs Knights. Blue vs orange. Both teams had their senior night on the same day, during the same game which meant the pressure was even higher. Players are always eager to win every game, but this game feels more special yet more intense. 

The teams are set on the ice, the whistle blows, and the clock begins to count down. Urbana quickly took control of the game in the first few seconds. After a few minutes of the Middletown goalie getting pummeled with shots, the first goal of the night by Senior Forward Max Dabruzzo hits the post and ends in the net. Cheering comes from the crowd and the students bang on the glass as a traditional celebration of a goal. Dabruzzo said “scoring on senior night was a big highlight of my hockey career at UHS.” Middletown knew they needed to get their heads in the game and only seconds later, they scored to tie the game and the score stayed 1-1 the rest of the first period.

The second period started just like the first with the Hawks dominating the ice. Senior Captain Cody Keegan started the goals for the second period. With the puck stuck flying around Middletown’s goal, the Hawks were bound to continue adding to the score, which is exactly what they did. Sophomore Zach Thayer scored two in a row to make the score 4-1. Defender Brady Gardiner was next up to score, his celebration alone showed this meant a lot to him. Goal after goal, Urbana continued to play a great game as Max Dabruzzo scored again to close out the period with a 6-1 lead. 

As expected, the Hawks did not hesitate to continue to play their game in the third period even with the big lead. Cody Keegan scores the last goal and his second of the night. The clock then hit 0 in the third and final period and Urbana pulled out a 7-1 win on senior night. 

At the end of the game, seniors reflected on their experiences and memories with this Urbana Hockey team. Senior Brady Gardiner said he has “gained lots of good friends and mentors through hockey and they have supported me and shaped me into who I am today.” This night was not only the players farewell to the team, but also the coaches farewell to the senior class. When asked how this senior class has impacted him, Head Coach Toby Heusser said, “I learned more about myself as a coach” and left with a quote from John Wooden that states “A good coach can change a game, a great coach can change a life.” He hoped he made a positive impact on their lives as they did on his.