The Student News Site of Urbana High School

THE HAWKEYE

THE HAWKEYE

THE HAWKEYE

Title
View this profile on Instagram

UHS Hawkeye (@uhs_hawkeye) • Instagram photos and videos

Sports Spotlight: Skating Their Way Through Playoffs (Hockey)

2023-2024 Urbana High School ice hockey team

“Hockey deserves more recognition and it honestly should be seen as a sport at the high school,” Max Dabruzzo, a senior forward for the Urbana Hockey team. Skate Frederick, where regular season games take place, is about 25 minutes away from Urbana High School which makes it difficult to have regular student attendance. 

This is not an issue when it comes to the big rivalry games against the Oakdale Bears. Students, teachers and parents from both sides pack the rink. The Hawks have faced off against the Bears three times this season, all ending in close, defeating loses for the Hawks. One of these coming in the Monocacy Valley Hockey League Championship. “We are all super disappointed, but we are hoping to go on a deep run in the states,” Dabruzzo expresses while reflecting on the 6-4 loss. 

As Oakdale has been the only team able to defeat the Hawks (13-3-1), a strong run in the state championship is to be expected. To prepare for the state championship “We are going to watch some film about what we could’ve done better in the championship game. We are in a good mindset right now and one championship loss isn’t going to stop us,” Dabruzzo told us. 

When asked about noticeable changes that can be corrected before states, Seamus McGee, a senior defender, explains, “We are going to play with more discipline, so we are not taking as many penalties as we did last game [vs. Oakdale].”

McGee expresses his excitement and nerves about the state playoff games, while explaining how, “We have never won a playoff game in my 4 years of playing high school hockey, so I am looking forward to changing that and winning my first one.” 

Hockey has taught these younger players so much, like, “how to accept defeat and build from my mistakes,” says Dabruzzo. The team is ready for their run in states starting Thursday, February 22nd, against Annapolis, as they fight for the state title.