The Dangers of Social Media

Core+Four+poster%2C+online+edition.+

Guinevere Schipper

Core Four poster, online edition.

Guin Schipper, Features Editor

Sure, social media can be entertaining, but is it worth the risks that accompany it? When a person is online, they will always leave a digital footprint. Now this footprint does not always have to be negative, it can be positive as well. However, if a person is not careful, they can suffer serious consequences for the things that they post.

The administrative team and the PTSA (Parent Teacher Student Association) are working together to sponsor a program informing parents and students about the dangers of social media. This program is called Plugged-In, they will have speakers from the Frederick County Sheriff’s office and Deputy Smith, the UHS resource officer. Plugged-In will be informing and updating parents and students about the different social media that exist. This program will also be educating the community on how social media can cross over with the law.

Plugged-In will be taking place on Wednesday, November 29 at 7:00 PM. It will be held in the UHS auditorium. Everyone is encouraged to come and will be welcome. This program is going to help the community understand what misuse of technology is and what the consequences could be.

Misuse of technology is an ongoing issue with this culture. But how big of a problem is it at Urbana High School? A survey of the seniors at UHS reveals that they do not feel social media is a big problem at UHS. Eighty-eight senior students at Urbana High took this survey. Fifty-one students of the eighty-eight senior students being surveyed answered that they do know someone, or they have, been cyberbullied. Fifty-five of the students being surveyed answered yes to the question “Have you witnessed someone receive consequences for a social media related incident?”

Many of the students being surveyed said that one aspect of social media that upsets them is how it causes people not to talk face to face but instead to talk online. Another popular answer was how upsetting it can be when people think they can say things they wouldn’t say in person online.

One student taking this survey revealed that they are dealing with serious issues caused by social media. This student said “I have been and am being cyber bullied, sexually harassed, and stalked by someone on the social media right now, and it is not good at all. I am very, very worried about me and my mom. Because me and my mom are having that happen to us right now, and it is by the same exact guy that is doing all of this to me too. And I am just so sick and tired of having this kind of stuff happen to me.” This student also informs that they have sought help with their counselor and the sheriff’s department. What this student is going through are some of the dangers of social media that could happen to anyone…(To read the rest of this story, pick up a copy of The Hawkeye from the newsstand near the front office or the media center)