Perfectly Piquant Poetry

Naomi Cuzmar, Music Editor, The Page Editor

Poetry Out Loud is an opportunity hosted by the National Endowment for the Arts. All high school students have the chance to perform emotionally charged poems. Contestants pick two poems to perform in front of an audience. If these contestants are lucky enough to win, they will advance towards Regionals and might even continue to Nationals.

Caroline Coleman, junior at Urbana High School, signed up for Poetry Out Loud a week before the actual competition. This was her first year participating in Poetry Out Loud. Coleman’s English teacher, Ms. Shortall, spoke to Coleman’s English class about the opportunity Poetry Out Loud was giving to students.

Caroline Coleman is interested in theatre and acting and felt Poetry Out Loud provided an opportunity to practice performing in front of an audience. She hoped to gain experience from Poetry Out Loud to contribute towards her love for the arts.

However, public speaking might not come as easy as many may think. Coleman stated “It is hard speaking in front of people because of the nerves but with practice it should not be a problem.” Coleman shares her experience, “When I was first walking up the stairs I felt a little nervous but I tuned everybody out and just did it, it felt good afterwards.” To read the rest of this story, pick up a copy of The Hawkeye from the newsstand near the front office or the media center.