5 ½ things to do around Frederick County this September

Sasha Zvaners, Reporter

Are you bored?
More specifically, do you feel the need to try something new – locally?
Well, you’ve come to the right place!
Listed below are some local activities that you can enjoy with friends or family. This month, we’ve got a festival, a fair, and three awesome places for ice cream. All locations listed are within 25 minutes of Urbana High School – some within walking distance, and some within driving.
Interested? Keep reading!
Summer’s Farm Sunflower Festival
If you’ve even been on Instagram, chances are you’ve seen those classic sunflower fields. But did you know that we have one of those fields in our own backyard?
The festival is held at Summer’s Farm, where you can stroll through an 8-acre sunflower field full of blooms. When visiting, you can get those angles and a free flower of your choice. Admission includes a wagon ride to the sunflower field, as well as the farm’s numerous outdoor activities, like their corn maze and farmer golf.
If that’s not up your alley, don’t worry! Feel free to enjoy some of the farm’s delicious food and live music instead.
You can stop by on September 4, 5, 6, 11, and 12th. Ticketing is limited, so it’s recommended that you make your purchase in advance online. Admission is $17.50 and the farm’s website can be found here.
Great Frederick Fair
Starting on September 17th, you can come on down to the Frederick fairgrounds and get your annual fill of adorable farm animals, local artwork, and, of course, carnival rides. There will be several live performances throughout the week, and there’s always plenty to see!
Other events during the week include races, art auctions, and even a horse parade, not to mention the local vendors selling all kinds of treats.
The fair runs through the 25th, and whether you’re going with friends or family, there’s something for everyone to enjoy. More information on the fair’s schedule and ticketing can be found here.
Oh, and a word from a student at UHS: “Autumn is my favorite season for activities in Frederick.”
Take their advice, and jump-start your autumn experience with this Frederick County classic.
Sweet Babe’s Creamery
Just a 20 minute walk from UHS, this local creamery serves ice cream, milkshakes, and much more. Outdoor seating is available, and there’s ample free parking if you’d prefer to drive. Directions can be found here. This business only takes cash, so make sure you bring some with you!
Rocky Point Creamery
This Tuscarora-based business offers over 80 flavors of homemade ice cream! The Creamery has a two-acre sunflower field as well, with blooms available for purchase in store – making it the perfect alternative to Summer’s Farm. One UHS student says “their coffee ice cream is super good!” Ice cream and sunflowers? Definitely Instaworthy.
Yo Bubble
Located three minutes from UHS, Yo Bubble is perfect if you’re looking for a healthier ice-cream alternative. This local business offers frozen yogurt, bubble tea, smoothies, and more. One UHS student says, “Yo Bubble is one of my places to go with friends or family. It’s a really good froyo place!” Plus, they have a fun music video!
One last thing: Urbana’s Village Square is now open! Directly across from the 7-11, this new development offers a Dominos, Tropical Smoothie Cafe, Popeyes, Jersey Mike’s, and Chipotle. Directions can be found here!

Getty Images/iStockphoto

That’s all for this month. Happy exploring!