The Student News Site of Urbana High School

THE HAWKEYE

THE HAWKEYE

THE HAWKEYE

Title
View this profile on Instagram

UHS Hawkeye (@uhs_hawkeye) • Instagram photos and videos

From Stage Crew to Stage Manager: Brooke Dress and her experience backstage

Alyssa Tyler
Brooke Dress at rehearsal for Newsies

What started out as something to do with friends quickly became a passion for Brooke Dress. The 11th grader has been doing theater since middle school, and now is on track to be the UHS Drama Stage Manager in her senior year.

Brooke is a very kind person who always works hard to make sure the job is done right. Though she can be serious and locked in at times, if you really get to know her, Brooke can really make you laugh. During the interview she made a bunch of little comments (mostly inside jokes) that would make anyone laugh. She is also laid back, whether that comes to her style or the way she can easily deescalate a situation.

Brooke’s theater journey started in 7th grade when she was in her middle school’s production of The Rockin Tale of Snow White. But that was quickly brought to an end because of COVID. “I did it because my friends were doing theater, and it sort of just followed me into high school,” Brooke said with a laugh. Brooke’s first real show was her freshman year of high school, when she did running crew for The Bold, The Young, and The Murdered. She has been on crew for every show since.

When asked why she still continues to do theater, Brooke doesn’t have a clear answer. It could be the friendships she has made these past years or maybe it is just something she loves doing. (I have known Brooke for three years now, so deep down I hope that I have helped her stay in theater.)

Alongside Jason Holman, Brooke has been the assistant stage manager for each of the UHS Drama Department shows this year. The shows this year were very taxing on the stage manager and the assistants. But Brooke stayed strong and made the shows as great as she could. She hopes to continue to put on great shows going into her senior year.

Brooke Dress is someone everyone should look up to, even teachers. She is a beacon of light in the UHS Drama department and has plans to make it even better than it is when she is manager next year.