The Student News Site of Urbana High School

THE HAWKEYE

THE HAWKEYE

THE HAWKEYE

Title
View this profile on Instagram

UHS Hawkeye (@uhs_hawkeye) • Instagram photos and videos

SPORT SPOTLIGHT: Started strong, finished stronger: Urbana Girls Winter Indoor Track & Field Team.

This picture by Victor O’ Neill Studios shows- Briana Barberena, Savona Rizzo, Aya Carolan, and Emana Rehemtula.

A whopping 126 female students came out for the Girls Indoor Track & Field Team this winter, and there was no holding back. 

The credit is due for Coach Ecalono, who is approaching his 15th year coaching at Urbana after graduating as a hawk in 2004. Very busy during the year, he coaches Cross Country, Indoor Track & Field, and Outdoor Track & Field which accumulates to 3 seasons per year. 

We pride ourselves on being one of the best programs year in and year out in all of Maryland. This Winter Season we have proven that once again.

— Coach Charles Ecalono,

Cora Betten, a junior on the team talks about her experience with her teammates, “Everybody is very close and supports each other at meets. But I would say we are especially close within our specified groups of long sprints, short sprints, and distance,” this bond between the teammates contributes to the overall success of the team, because with supportive teammates, you are motivated to do your best. 

“This year I became the 6th 500 meter run champion in Urbana history” and this was only her 2nd season with the team. Amazing progress can be seen among the teammates, including Elliana Gyamfi, who prides herself in her 4×100 relay, finishing it in just 54.57. 

These times don’t come immediately though, she’s been doing track for 5 whole years. Why did she become interested in the sport? “I loved the atmosphere of track” and she plans to keep running to the collegiate level one day. 

This picture by Victor O’ Neill Studios shows Sade Tawo, a sophomore on the team.

A lot of the team are multi-sport athletes who participate in track during off season. Cora being one as she has committed to Vanderbilt for lacrosse. 

Coach Ecalono was a multi-sport athlete too. He credits track and field as one of the shapes of his career. “My hope is that other student-athletes that are talented in other Sports throughout UHS will see that Track & Field is the perfect “off-season” sport for them. Something tells me that they will fall in love with it,” just like he did. 

With such a consistent sport, there are off-season expectations for the team. “We do send out General Workout calendars throughout the Summer, Fall, and Winter for those that aren’t on the team, but want to stay in shape. We also get into the Weight room twice a week throughout the Summer and the Fall,” so you wouldn’t have to worry about losing your record times if you pursued track at Urbana. 

If you plan to partake in such an amazing team, Coach looks for “student-athletes who are willing to commit to our sport and work hard,” even if they don’t consider track their main sport. 

“Commit to us and stay consistent, there is no doubt in our mind you will become stronger, faster, in shape, and just an overall better person,” just like he did.