The Student News Site of Urbana High School

THE HAWKEYE

THE HAWKEYE

THE HAWKEYE

Title
View this profile on Instagram

UHS Hawkeye (@uhs_hawkeye) • Instagram photos and videos

TAYLOR SWIFT TAKEOVER

Do you like having Taylor on your NFL social media pages?
Taylor Swift at a Cheifs-Jets NFL game

Do you know who Taylor Swift is? Chances are you probably do. Taylor Swift needs no introduction. She is single-handedly one of the biggest pop stars in the world today, but not all people like her. Of course, when you’re as famous as Taylor Swift, it’s inevitable that you are going to have people who don’t like you or the music you make, and this hate has never been more prevalent than what’s going on today. If you haven’t heard, Taylor Swift is dating 2X Super Bowl Champion Travis Kelce from the Kansas City Chiefs. Because of this, the NFL had the ingenious idea of profiting off of this relationship by posting Taylor at any and every NFL game she attends, and many people do not like it.

It’s no secret that Taylor Swift is a megastar and is debatably the most popular celebrity in the world. From a business standpoint, this makes a lot of sense. Profiting from this relationship is just simple money-making, right? Well maybe so but everything has a limit and the NFL  according to the majority of people, has surpassed that limit. I interviewed some UHS students  and asked them what they thought about the prolific amount of Taylor Swift content, and here’s what they had to say.

Othniel Kipalu, an 11th-grade student familiar with the NFL and its social media pages, had this to say on the topic: “It’s OD; I keep seeing her on my ‘For You’ page every time I scroll. Every story is just Taylor Swift.”

Bryce Satterwhite, also in 11th grade, had some similar things to say about Taylor: “I think it’s too much, and the NFL needs to shut it down.”

An interesting perspective: Manny Alvarez had this to say about the situation: “I 100% support it, and I think from a business perspective, if it’s working, why should they stop?”

It seems like the majority of students and other people I interviewed, however, shared the belief that the Taylor Swift coverage should be stopped because it’s getting too much.The aforementioned  Bryce Satterwhite has even said the following: “If the Chiefs make the Super Bowl, I might not watch the game at all because all they are going to show is her.” It’s clear to see that the NFL’s coverage of Taylor Swift has left a repugnant taste in people’s mouths, but despite the outrage, the NFL shows no signs of stopping.

In conclusion, while Taylor Swift is probably the most popular celebrity on the planet right now, her unremitting appearances on students’ NFL social media feeds are incrementally turning more and more people off from watching the game they all know and love.

View Comments (1)