The Student News Site of Urbana High School

THE HAWKEYE

THE HAWKEYE

THE HAWKEYE

Title
View this profile on Instagram

UHS Hawkeye (@uhs_hawkeye) • Instagram photos and videos

CLASS SPOTLIGHT: Digital Communications

BREAKING NEWS: The Urbana News Network is Back!
Alyssa Tyler
The whiteboard featured in the background of the morning announcements

The reign of Mr. Matheny’s announcements has come to an end, and the students are in control. The Urbana News Network (UNN) is back! Now featuring Brooke Dress, Felicia Aussurian, Will Brookes, James Barrows, Landon Lacy, John Damoulakis, Christian Heckman, Genesis Walker, Lucas Rungrojcharoenkit, and David Barney.

After the shut down due to the COVID 19 pandemic, The UNN had to stop producing morning announcements. When school started up again, “the TV studio room and all of the equipment we had were dismantled and, somewhat, junked” Mr. Ward commented. 

But early in the 2023-2024 school year Mrs. Clabaugh came up to Mr. Ward and asked him what she would need to do to get the students back to running the announcements. 

“I was really wanting to bring back student announcements because I think that if students see that announcements and the news are produced by them [the students] there will be more of an interest” Mr. Ward mentioned. 

After the purchase of a few cameras and other technical equipment, and with the help of Mr. Ward, the Digital Communications class was started in which highschool students write, film, edit, and produce the announcements all on their own. 

“I really enjoy the atmosphere, it’s very open and I don’t feel judged,” Felicia explained.

Felicia also mentions how she has learned to be open with her ideas. She says that if everyone isn’t open with their ideas, nothing fun or interesting will happen. Big plans are in store for The UNN, Felicia also mentioned, but it’s a secret. 

But what is a day like at The UNN? The second period class starts by filming the announcements for the next day. The students choose who will run lights, who will be the anchors, who edits, and more. Once that is finished they separate and work on upcoming projects for The UNN. This can include filming skits, interviewing teachers and students, or editing the morning announcements. 

“It’s fun to get around the school and make something ridiculous,” Will Brookes commented when asked what he liked about the class. 

So why should teachers show announcements in class? Many UNN students said that it is a fun way to gain information about what is going on around the school. Mr. Ward said, “When teachers show that they care about what’s going on in the building students will begin to care”. The goal of The UNN is to entertain the students while also informing them about what Urbana is doing as a whole.

Next time you are in your 2nd block, or in SET, ask your teacher to turn on the announcements! You won’t be disappointed!