The Student News Site of Urbana High School

THE HAWKEYE

THE HAWKEYE

THE HAWKEYE

Title
View this profile on Instagram

UHS Hawkeye (@uhs_hawkeye) • Instagram photos and videos

SPORTS SPOTLIGHT: Unity on the Court: Urbana High School’s Unified Bocce Team

Rossman, S. (n.d.). Unified bocce ball rolls into the season with enthusiasm: Photo of the Day 12/24/19. Retrieved March 1, 2024, from The Lance website: https://lhslance.org/2019/showcase/unified-bocce-ball-rolls-into-the-season-with-enthusiasm-photo-of-the-day-12-24-19/#modal-photo

Urbana High School’s Unified Bocce team embodies the spirit of togetherness, with players supporting each other both on and off the court. Through shared experiences and common goals, barriers are dissolved, and lasting friendships are formed. The sense of belonging that Unified Bocce fosters extends far beyond the playing field, enriching the entire school community.

Bocce is played by tossing a small ball, called the pallino, onto the court and then taking turns to roll larger bocce balls toward it, with the objective of getting as close to the pallino as possible. Only one team or player can score per frame, earning points for each ball that is closer to the pallino than the opponent’s nearest ball. The game continues for a predetermined number of frames or until a certain score is reached.

Jackson Planz, a senior at Urbana High School, signed up for unified bocce, and here’s why you should too. “I think people should sign up for bocce, it’s a fun and rewarding experience,” he says. “It’s taught me new skills for a game I didn’t know how to play as well as meeting new people and making new friends.” Planz also states that Unified Bocce is a good way to spend your winter being productive to help others.

This year, Urbana High School’s Bocce team got Gold in the district tournament, which is a small win but a good accomplishment nonetheless, especially for a first year sport.

The success of Unified Bocce at Urbana High School serves as a beacon of inspiration for other schools and communities. It demonstrates that inclusivity isn’t just a goal—it’s a reality that can be achieved through dedication, compassion, and a willingness to embrace differences. In a world that often seems divided, Urbana High School’s Unified Bocce program stands as a testament to the power of unity. Through this sport, barriers are shattered, and bonds are forged, proving that when we come together, anything is possible.