Swim Team Topped With Talent

Kyle Orens, Managing Editor, Sports Editor

The 2017 swim season won’t just be same old same old for all of the returning swimmers. Steven Howard, who coached the boys swim team for the past two years is stepping down. Luckily former assistant coach Shannon McHale will be taking over. At the very least this will provide the players with a familiar face. Even with the new coaching changes, seniors Jake Drumheller and Kevin Lin are ready to dive into the new season.

Drumheller has been swimming since he was only four years old and started after his parents forced him to join the local swim team. After quitting club swimming, Drumheller took a few years off but decided to start swimming again in high school because of the more laidback demeanor.

Drumheller said, “This year won’t be as laidback without Coach Howard but will still be fun.”

Since he is the captain this year, Drumheller’s main goal is to be a good leader, but he also wants to get some personal best times. He also hopes that after making second team all-county his freshman year that he can make first team all-county in his final year of high school.

After high school, Drumheller has no plans to swim in college but has loved all four years of swimming for Urbana.

Drumheller said, “My favorite memory is splashing around in my speedo with my friends.”

Like Drumheller, Lin has been swimming since he was four years old, but unlike Drumheller got into swimming much more organically.

Lin said, “I did daycare at the Frederick YMCA, and I would see my mom swimming and would join her. I realized that it was something I wanted to do.”

The hard work that comes with swimming is what Lin loves most about the sport.

Lin said, “Working hard with my team. After a very hard practice knowing that I gave it my all and knowing I did well is very rewarding.”

All of the hard work paid off in his freshman year when Lin took the county, regional, and state title in the 200 IM and 500 free. After his first year, Lin decided to take a break from high school swimming, but in his final year hopes to come back and break a few school records.

Even though it will be Lin second year with Urbana and his first year back since freshman year, he has no doubt in the new coaching staff.

Lin said, “The coaches are good and I think they’ll lead us in the right direction. They are all very knowledgeable and accommodating.”

Next year, Lin will be heading off to New York where he will be swimming for West Point United States Military Academy.